Listing your business at Kemptalk.com costs only R480 per year!

Index:      A      B      C      D      E      F      G      H      I      J      K      L      M      N      O      P      Q      R      S      T      U      V      W      Y

THE OTHER KEMPTON PARK

Kempton Park
Directory

Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury-on-Thames, London
Lying at the London end of the M3 Motorway from Southampton and Winchester is Sunbury, a popular venue for race goers, as it is here that one can find Kempton Park racecourse.

Kempton Park was enclosed in 1246 and was well stocked with deer right up until 1835. Racing has been going on here for over 100 years. The church of St Mary which was constructed in 1753 on the site of a 14th century building was the design of a clerk of the works at Hampton Court. Sunbury Court is now used by the Salvation Army as a centre for youth and was built in 1770.

Kempton Park Racecourse was the brainchild of SH Hyde, a 19th century businessman and a Tory party agent. It is said that he was enjoying a carriage drive in the country when he came across Kempton Manor and Park for sale. Hyde leased the grounds in 1872 and six years later in July 1878 Kempton opened as a racecourse.

The racecourse was intended to attract the up-market punter, particularly the female racegoer and it was hoped that Kempton would enjoy the success of nearby Sandown Park.

During the war Kempton became a prisoner-of- war camp from 1939-1946. The following year racing was resumed. The King George VI Chase which had always been staged in February was moved to Boxing Day to give more breathing space between the race and the big meetings at Aintree and Cheltenham.
Website 

The other Pomona
In the heart of the greater Los Angeles area, between the Inland Empire and the San Gabriel Valley, the City of Pomona is a convenient place to live and work.
 Website 

Go to Kempton in Tasmania

And then there's Kempten

In the middle of one of our most lovely recreation areas in Bavaria, the Allgaeu, you will find the town Kempten. It is an over 2000 years old center of that region. It is situated on the Iller River in the heart of the Allgäuer Alps.

Kempten's historic landmarks include the abbey Church of St. Lorenz (1652), the residence of the prince-abbots (1651–74), the stone town hall (1474), and the Church of St. Mang (Evangelical, 1426, restored). The 18th-century Grain Exchange (Kornhaus) now houses the Allgäu Provincial Museum. Kempten is the economic, cultural, and communications centre of the Allgäu region and the market for its dairy products (especially cheeses). The city has breweries and engineering, textile, and paper industries.

The earliest known inhabitants in the area of present-day Bavaria were the Celts. In the last decade BC they were pressed between Teutonic tribes in the north and the Romans in the south. The Romans soon conquered the region; they divided the southern part into Raetia and Noricum and built fortifications along the northern boundary to keep out the Teutons. Flourishing Roman colonies arose in the south at Augsburg, Kempten, Regensburg, and Passau.

Bavaria is a country of high plateaus and medium-sized mountains. In the northwest are the wooded sandstone hills of the Spessart; in the north are basalt knolls and high plateaus. The northwest is drained by the Main River, which flows into the Rhine. To the southeast, the topography varies from the stratified land formations of Swabia-Franconia to shell limestone and red marl, the hill country of the Franconian-Rednitz Basin, and the limestone mountains of the Franconian Jura along the Danube, which divides Bavaria north and south. On the eastern edge of Bavaria, adjoining the Czech Republic, is the Bohemian Forest and in the north the Franconian Forest. South of the Danube is a plateau upon which lies the capital, Munich, and beyond it the Bavarian Alps. Bavaria's share of the Alps consists of wooded heights of several thousand feet, behind which rise steep ridges and high plateaus (in the west, the Allgäuer Alps; in the east, the Alps of Berchtesgaden). They reach their highest peak in the 9,718-foot (2,962-metre) Zugspitze in Germany's Wetterstein Range. Bavaria has a continental climate that is harsh for middle Europe, although there are some exceptions, such as the Lower Main valley.

International and regional food traditionally found in Kempten will satisfy every taste, a well known specialty being the "Allgaeuer Kaesspatzen". This is a meal from noodles baked with regional cheese and onions. Cheese and milk products from this region are famous worldwide. Surely you have heard of "origininal Allgaeuer cheese". The town Kempten is the center of milk production, that's why the "stock market for south German milk and cheese" is located in Kempten. But you also find a lot of electronic engineering, machine manufacturing and other products, exported from here.

Kempten is the birthplace of Carl Friedrich Wolff, the founder of Kempton Park, South Africa.

Website 

And Kempton in Pennsylvania

Learn about the traditions of the Pennsylvania Dutch through the folklife museum, one-room school, and log house at the Folk Culture Center. Take a ride on the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern Railroad and have a picnic afterwards. Bird watchers flock to nearby Hawk Mountain Sanctuary to watch for migrating eagles and hawks from late summer to late fall.

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is the world's first refuge for birds of prey (since 1934), now the planet's leading research center for hawks, eagles, falcons, and the like. The very best time to see them is between September and November, when more than 14 species migrate past the mountain on the Appalachian flyway. More than half the birds that pass here spend the winter in Central and South America (Vera Cruz in Mexico is a favorite hangout.) The birds use pockets of warm rising air and winds to help fuel their long-distance journeys. Bald eagles begin passing by in August, hawks in September. The greatest variety, again mostly hawks, fly through in October, while November brings golden eagles and goshawks. It's not unheard of to see more than a thousand hawks on a favorable flight day in September or October.

What about the other Aston Manor?

ASTON MANOR, a municipal and parliamentary borough of Warwickshire, England, adjoining Birmingham on the north-east. There are extensive manufactures, including those of motors and cycles with their accessories, also papermills, breweries, etc., and the population is largely industrial. Aston Hall, erected by Sir Thomas Holte in 1618-1635, is an admirable architectural example of its period, built of red brick. It stands in a large park, the whole property being acquired by the corporation of Birmingham in 1864, when the mansion became a museum and art gallery. It contains the panelling of a room from the house of Edmund Hector, which formerly stood in Old Square, Birmingham, where Dr Samuel Johnson was a frequent visitor. Aston Lower Grounds, adjoining the park, contains an assembly hall, and the playing field of the Aston Villa Football Club, where the more important games are witnessed by many thousands of spectators.

The Aston Manor Road Transport Museum houses a collection of historic and classic vehicles and related exhibits that brings back memories of a bygone era. See how transport in the Midlands has evolved from the 1900s to the present day, all in the original setting of a Birmingham Tram Depot.

Croydon south of London

The town of Croydon is situated 10 miles south of London at one of the heads of the River Wandle. Just to the south is a significant gap in the North Downs which acts as a route focus for transport from London to the south coast. The old London to Brighton road, the A23, passed through the town as does the main line from London to Brighton. Today the A23 follows a route to the west of the town known as the Purley Way. Croydon is the largest office and retail centre in south-east England outside central London.

The name of Croydon derives originally from the Anglo-Saxon croeas deanas, meaning "the valley of the crocuses", indicating that, like Saffron Walden in Essex, it was a centre for the collection of saffron.

Another opinion holds that the name derives from the Old French croie dune, meaning chalk hill. This was because Croydon stands at the northern edge of the chalky hills called the North Downs.

The other Terenure

Terenure (Tír an Iúir in Irish: 'Land of the Yew Trees') is a residential suburb of Dublin, Ireland. It is located south of Harold's Cross and north of Rathfarnham. Although it is in the Dublin 6W postal district, Terenure has a reputation as an upper-class suburb, and is strongly associated with the rugby-playing school, Terenure College, but the village has always had a bohemian side too, with many actors and writers (including Austin Clarke and Máirtín Ó Direáin) having lived there; with Rathgar and the area around Portobello in Dublin 8 it has also traditionally been the home of many of Dublin's relatively sparse Jewish population. Terenure is a suburb of Dublin city proper, and its southern boundary is also part of the administrative boundary between Dublin City Council and South Dublin County Council. In times gone by Terenure Cross was a terminus for the city trams, and is mentioned as such in Ulysses (Episode 7, Aeolus), but it has been bypassed by the redevelopment of modern trams in Dublin (the Luas lines). The Roman Catholic parish church in Terenure has spectacular stained glass by Harry Clarke.

 SA Topsites ::      Web Stats - Free Realtime Web Statistics Tracker & Counter