Listing your business at Kemptalk.com costs only R480 per year!
KEMPTON PARK FLAG & COAT OF ARMS
Kempton Park (1970 - 1994)
Kempton Park was established in 1903 when Karl Wolff sub-divided a portion of his Zuurfontein farm into residential stands and named the new village Kempten after the Bavarian town of his birth. The name of the town was later anglicised to Kempton Park. Kempton Park is located north-east of Johannesburg and south of Pretoria lying in the middle of the two cities. In 1952 Jan Smuts Airport was built on land next to the town, which later became the main gateway into South Africa for air traffic and is now the busiest airport on the African continent. The airport's name was changed to Johannesburg International Airport in the late 1990s and more recently to OR Tambo International Airport (August 2006).
Kempton Park was declared a city in 1992 and became part of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality following the re-organisation of local government in South Africa in December 2000 and consequently its municipal flag is no longer in use.
image by Martin Grieve, 23 July 2005
On 31 March 1970 the Town Council of Kempton Park resolved to appoint Mr JH Coetsee of the Bureau of Heraldry in Pretoria to design a municipal flag. After various preliminary designs had been considered, the Council finally resolved on 29 June 1970 to approve an amended design. The flag consists of a royal blue background divided by a yellow-gold horizontal stripe two-thirds from the top of the flag. In the canton originally appeared a white globe with an aeroplane pointing towards the flagpole above the shield from the municipal arms. This design was later changed with the globe and shield having been substituted by the complete arms and crest as approved by the Bureau of Heraldry on 29 January 1969.
The gold of the arms represents the gold
reef of the Witwatersrand of which Kempton Park forms a part. The world
globe at the head of the crest on a blue background, over which is
depicted an aircraft in gold, symbolises the role of the town as a
terminus of world airlines as South Africa's primary international
airport was located within the municipal boundary of Kempton Park. The
railway engine in gold on a sky blue background represents the rail
activities in the area. The green band dividing the arms symbolises
fertility and hope. Industrial development is symbolised by a golden
cog-wheel on a dark blue background. The
The blazon of the Arms granted to Kempton
Park by the Administrator of the Transvaal on 23 March 1966 and later
registered with the South African Bureau of Heraldry on 29 January 1969
is as follows: